Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)

From: Zeno Davatz
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 09:28:19 EST

Hi

I'm trying to set up a new server with 2*200GB HD's, 2*Intel Xeon 3.4
GHz and an Intel SE7520BD2 Motherboard (SATA).

I can boot perfectly fine from my Gentoo 2005.0 - minimal-install CD.
The system is up and running except when I want to boot from the
harddisk (root=/dev/sda3 boot=/dev/sda1, both on jfs). I can proof
that by mounting the new system when I boot from CD and do a chroot.

I even tried by compiling the kernel with the /proc/config.gz from the
above CD. Same result as in the subject line:
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)

Yes, I did run lilo -v and that went smoothly; and I do get the Lilo
manager in the beginning, but after that and some messages: Kernel
panic...

I'm on 2.6.11.8 from kernel.org

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks