[RFC/PATCH 0/5] add execute in place support

From: Carsten Otte
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 09:33:55 EST

Folks,

this is the intro to a small series of patches that introduce execute
in place into the I/O stack. File I/O to memory-backed block
devices is performed directly, bypassing the page cache and io
schedulers. On s390, we use this for block devices based on shared
memory between multiple virtual machines. This is also useful on
embedded systems where the block device is located on a flash chip.
This work is a result of a prior discussion with Andrew Morton
about my first implementation which basically was a filesystem
derived from ext2.

As I'd like to aim for integration into -mm and vanilla later on,
I'd like to encourage everyone to give it a read and provide
feedback. All patches apply against git-head as of today.

cheers,
Carsten