Re: several messages

From: Vladislav Bolkhovitin
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 05:17:56 EST

Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
Hello and thanks for the replies

On Wed, 11 May 2005, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:

The iSCSI protocol simply encapsulates the SCSI protocol into the
TCP/IP protocol, and carries packets over IP networks. You can handle

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:

Actually, this is property not of iSCSI target itself, but of any SCSI target.
So, we implemented it as part of our SCSI target mid-level (SCST,
http://scst.sourceforge.net), therefore any target driver working over it will
automatically benefit from this feature. Unfortunately, currently available
only target drivers for Qlogic 2x00 cards and for poor UNH iSCSI target (that
works not too reliable and only with very specific initiators). The published

The above confirms basically my understanding apart from one "minor" confusion - I thought, that parallel to hardware solutions pure software implementations were possible / being developed, like a driver, that implements a SCSI LDD API on one side, and forwards packets to an IP stack, say, over an ethernet card - on the initiator side. And a counter part on the target side. Similarly to the USB mass-storage and storage gadget drivers?

There is some confusion in the SCSI world between SCSI as a transport and SCSI as a commands set and software communication protocol, which works above the transport. So, you can implement SCSI transport at any software (eg iSCSI) or hardware (parallel SCSI, Fibre Channel, SATA, etc.) way, but if the SCSI message passing protocol is used overall system remains SCSI with all protocol obligations like task management. So, pure software SCSI solution is possible. BTW, there are pure hardware iSCSI implementations as well.

Vlad

Thanks
Guennadi
---