Re: reducing max segments expected to work?

From: Benjamin LaHaise
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 10:19:12 EST

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 08:37:57AM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> This doesn't really do what you would think it does - the defines should
> be called DEFAULT_PHYS_SEGMENTS etc, since they are just default values
> and do not denote any max-allowed-by-driver value.

They do place a limit on athe sgpool entries in scsi_lib.c. I'm curious
about the overhead from these data structures, hence the experimentation.

> But it is strange why your system wont boot after applying the above.
> What happens (and what kind of storage)?

The system is a pretty standard P4 with SATA on ICH6. I tried booting
with MAX_SECTORS = 31 (with *_SEGMENTS = 32) to no avail. The system
usually gets to some point in early userland init with whatever program
(init) being stuck in D state waiting for io to complete. I'm curious
if there is some unwritten dependancy on MAX_SEGMENT_SIZE or some other
piece of code being hit here...

-ben
--
"Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once." -- John Wheeler