Re: Bugs in 2.6.12-rc kernels

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 18:04:24 EST

Wakko Warner wrote:
> 3) I put together a boot kernel/initrd using 2.6.12-rc2 (also tested
> 2.6.12-rc4) which seems to work, except that pcmcia does not function
> properly. When pcmcia.ko gets loaded, it is unable to register it's char
> dev. I'm not sure why this is. 2.6.11.8 worked fine with no modifications
> to the system. This is a system designed to boot from floppy minimally,
> search for a device which has some files that populates a tmpfs filesystem
> which becomes the root filesystem. This module is loaded from the tmpfs
> filesystem. Module-init-tools version is 3.2-pre (Not sure if this makes a
> difference). I tested this on a notebook that I have. I also have this
> same kernel version installed which works fine. It could be a different
> version of module-init-tools, but I'm unsure at this point (I do not have
> access to the notebook at this time.

I tested this again today with a few changes. It appears that if pcmcia.ko
(or rather the .c files that make it up) are compiled with -Os, it will fail
to register a character device. Being that one of my goals for this was to
fit everything on a floppy, I had to use -Os when building the kernel.
(pcmcia was not one of the modules that belongs on the floppy, however I
did not want to have to compile the kernel and then again for the modules
w/o -Os)

I believe that pcmcia.ko is the only module I am using that uses a dynamic
major.