Re: Y2K-like bug to hit Linux computers! - Info of the day

From: DervishD
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 09:39:25 EST

Hi :)

* Srinivas G. <srinivasg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> Tuesday, January 19 2038. Time: 03:14:07 GMT. If Linux programmers get
> nightmares, it's about this date and time. Immediately after that second
> is crossed, current computer systems running on Linux will grind to a
> halt or go into a loop. This will trip up a lot of databases. No, this
> is not another hoax raised by some anti-Linux lobby. It is Linux's own
> Y2K nightmare, says Businessworld.

Do you mean we have less than 33 years to switch to a longer type
to store timestamps? I'm *seriously* frightened. I'm only 32, so I
think I will manage to spend another half of my life switching to 64
bits timestamps.

But we shouldn't worry, anyway, because the end of the world is
scheduled to be much sooner. I've heard rumours about a hyperspace
speedway that must pass *just* over this tiny little planet we call
home. Maybe the answer is 42.

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...