Re: ipw2100: intrusive cleanups, working this time ;-)

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 11:49:26 EST

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 01:25:58AM -0500, James Ketrenos wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
> >On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 07:52:29PM -0500, James Ketrenos wrote:
> >>Part of the process we have in place is to try and make sure that the
> >>versions that get picked up by distros and the majority of users have a
> >>'known' level of quality. As part of that, we only want to get changes
> >>pushed to -mm and eventual mainline that have gone through regression
> >>testing.
> >
> >Any chance of making those regression tests public so we can all do this
> >kind of testing on any future changes that might be made to the driver?
>
> I believe all of our test plans are available publically. We just put
> up test runner on our bugzilla server so that we can better track which
> tests have been run by users, etc. Some tests are automated, some are
> manual.
>
> The bugzilla site is http://bughost.org and test tracker is toward the
> bottom of that page.
>
> You can also find information at http://ipw2200.sf.net/validation.php

Nice, thanks for the pointers.

> >Remember, once it hits mainline, lots of different people will be
> >touching it for various reasons at times...
> >

> I am hopeful that if we can get a process streamlined enough so that
> regression passes can occur quickly, we will be able to keep pace w/ any
> critical fixes or changes that are desired to go into mainline.
>
> What is driving the approach is that our customers want to build
> solutions with drivers that have gone through a known level of
> interoperability and functionality testing.
>
> We ideally want to be able to say "you can either download the driver
> version X from http://whatever, or any mainline kernel newer than
> 2.6.13+". However we can only do that if the code that is pulled into
> mainline /has/ gone through all of that testing.

Of course.

> The reality of the community process may require that we can only say
> "version X from http://whatever or versions 2.6.{x,y,z} of the kernel"
> if patches are accepted into the tree that haven't been sufficiently tested.

Good luck testing every kernel release :)

Perhaps you might want to automate this with a test against the
kernel-of-the-day once the driver makes it into mainline? I know some
people who are working on a kernel tinderbox that this kind of effort
would tie nicely into.

> We want to have a process that meets the needs of the end users, the
> ipw* and kernel development communities, the platform manufacturers, and
> the distros.

That's a good goal, sounds like you are well on your way. Now if only
everyone would have test suites for drivers...

thanks,

greg k-h