Re: [-mm patch] i386: enable REGPARM by default

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun May 15 2005 - 08:13:40 EST

> Yes, this means you cannot have binary compatible kernels compiled
> with different compilers. Which might be a bad thing.

you already have that anyway!
There are several kernel data structures that have padding in them
ifdef'd on older gcc versions just to work around bugs; gcc2 -> gcc3 as
a result has a major different abi anyway so I don't think your argument
holds.. (and in 2.6, the gcc version is part of the VERMAGIC so the
exact compiler is enforced anyway)