Re: Hyper-Threading Vulnerability

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Date: Sun May 15 2005 - 13:58:25 EST

* David Schwartz (davids@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Andi Kleen wrote:
>
> > And what you're doing is to ask all the non crypto guys to give
> > up an useful optimization just to fix a problem in the crypto guy's
> > code. The cache line information leak is just a information leak
> > bug in the crypto code, not a general problem.
>
> Portable code shouldn't even have to know that there is such a thing as a
> cache line. It should be able to rely on the operating system not to let
> other tasks with a different security context spy on the details of its
> operation.

I find it interesting to compare this thread with a thread from about
a week ago talking about how /proc/cpuinfo wasn't consistent
across architectures - where we come round to the view of whether
the application writers shouldn't care/are too dumb/shouldn't need
to know about/can't be trusted with knowing about what the real
hardware is.

Personally I think this is a good case of where the application
should take care of it - with whatever support the OS can really
give.

(That is if this is actually a real problem and not just
purely theoretical - my crypto knowledge isn't good enough
to answer that - but it feels very very abstract).

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /