Re: 2.6.1[01] freeze on x86_64

From: Sean E. Russell
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 06:43:41 EST

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 08:11, Mark Nipper wrote:
> I've actually got old dumb terminals sitting around.
> I'll hook one up and set the oops=panic option also. Maybe we
> can nail this down as I've pretty much avoided using my x86-64
> desktop ever since. I'd been torn trying to decide whether or
> not to migrate to a different file system.

Hah!

I haven't seen Mark post any follow-ups to this, but I have some more
information of my own.

Mark, are you running the IPW2200 drivers, by any chance? I'm pretty sure
that's what is causing the lock-ups on my end; that, or something in the the
kernel's wireless handlers.

I did hook up an ethernet cable and started doing netconsole traces... only
then the problem disappeared! To make a long story short, the system is
entirely stable when running network over ethernet, but when I use the
wireless network interface, it eventually locks up. There are no error
messages that I can associate with the wireless device or network traffic.

--
--- SER

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents,
more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some
great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach
their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned
by a downright moron." - H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)