Re: ALSA make menuconfig Help description missing

From: Lee Revell
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 14:34:16 EST

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 16:59 +0200, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> Yes, tried, fixes ;-)
>
> However I suggest that a pointer to user documentation for ALSA be added
> to the Help.
>
> For example I have a problem when I run XMMS, Skype says something like
> "can't open /dev/dsp" and don't know where to start. The only thing I
> know is that 1) I have ALSA turned on and 2) I want to know how to make
> it accept more data streams from the programs and mix them together.

There is no official user level documentation for dmix (which runs in
userspace anyway), because it was not intended to be configured by the
end user. The current ALSA version, 1.0.9-rcX, uses dmix by default.

It's always a pain to get OSS apps to play nice with dmix, which is why
the real solution is to get proper ALSA support in Skype.

Lee