Re: NUMA aware slab allocator V3

From: Matthew Dobson
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 18:48:08 EST

Dave Hansen wrote:
>>+#ifdef CONFIG_NUMA
>>+#define NUMA_NODES MAX_NUMNODES
>>+#define NUMA_NODE_ID numa_node_id()
>>+#else
>>+#define NUMA_NODES 1
>>+#define NUMA_NODE_ID 0
>> #endif
>

> I think numa_node_id() should always do what you want. It is never
> related to discontig nodes, and #defines down to the same thing you have
> in the end, anyway:
>
> #define numa_node_id() (cpu_to_node(_smp_processor_id()))
>
> asm-i386/topology.h
> #ifdef CONFIG_NUMA
> static inline int cpu_to_node(int cpu)
> {
> return cpu_2_node[cpu];
> }
>
> asm-generic/topology.h:
> #ifndef cpu_to_node
> #define cpu_to_node(cpu) (0)
> #endif
>
> As for the MAX_NUMNODES, I'd just continue to use it, instead of a new
> #define. There is no case where there can be more NUMA nodes than
> DISCONTIG nodes, and this assumption appears in plenty of other code.
>
> I'm cc'ing Matt Dobson, who's touched this MAX_NUMNODES business a lot
> more recently than I.
>
> -- Dave

You're right, Dave. The series of #defines at the top resolve to the same
thing as numa_node_id(). Adding the above #defines will serve only to
obfuscate the code.

Another thing that will really help, Christoph, would be replacing all your
open-coded for (i = 0; i < MAX_NUMNODES/NR_CPUS; i++) loops. We have
macros that make that all nice and clean and (should?) do the right thing
for various combinations of SMP/DISCONTIG/NUMA/etc. Use those and if they
DON'T do the right thing, please let me know and we'll fix them ASAP.

for_each_cpu(i)
for_each_online_cpu(i)
for_each_node(i)
for_each_online_node(i)

Those 4 macros should replace all your open-coded loops, Christoph.

-Matt