Re: Share Wait Queue between different modules ?

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 10:54:30 EST

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 16:02 +0100, Dinesh Ahuja wrote:
> Thanks Steven for answer.
>
> Could please tell me know how to share wait queue
> between different modules and where will be pratical
> implementation of that case.

A wait_queue is where a task goes while waiting for some event. If you
want to share it among modules you first need to determine where the
wait queue would be declared. If module A and module B use the same
wait queue, and module A has declared it. Then module B would be
dependent on module A. Module A would also have to export the wait
queue via the EXPORT_SYMBOL macro. Or, the wait queue can be declared
in the kernel itself and all modules can use it.

As for a practical implementation for doing this, I'm not sure what you
are asking for since the question itself is quite abstract. I haven't
needed to export a wait queue from one module to the next. The best I
can tell you is if one module supplies some functionality or driver for
some device that has a wait queue for some event, and another module
adds functionality or a sub system of the device that needs to have
tasks wait on the same event, then I guess that would be one case.

-- Steve