Re: linux.bkbits.net question: mapping cset to kernel version?

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 11:59:09 EST

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 11:23:20AM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>
> >But that's how you have to do it, sorry. You have the patches, why
> >can't you just use grep? :)
>
> What does Linus do to keep track of these changes? Granted, he's not using
> BitKeeper any more, but it does support release management, so I would
> presume he was tagging the releases with it.

Yes, and that tagging worked just fine. You can see this too if you
want to check out a tree based on a tag.

> What does he do now?

Uses git, which will have the same issues as you are facing :)

Please remeber, with a distributed development system like this, going
off of the "date" means _nothing_. What matters is when that patch and
branch is merged into his tree, and to determine that, you will have to
dig around a bit.

And since you have raw patches, and know what you are looking for, the
solution should be very simple (hint, grep...)

Good luck,

greg k-h