Re: Illegal use of reserved word in system.h

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 18:46:07 EST

"Gilbert, John" <JGG@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I think it's been in there a while, but only really blows up when built
>
> under recent kernels.
>
> I agree, it's probably not the right way to go.

It's quite dangerous. I suppose it uses this for atomic.h, but it
means that a mysql compiled under a uniprocessor kernel (or rather
with a autoconf.h of a uniprocessor kernel, it can even be SMP) will
have subtle races when run on a SMP system because the atomic
instructions will miss lock prefixes. Sounds like an open
deathtrap to me.

I would suggest changing MySQL to keep its own copies of atomic.h
for the different architectures. Then they can drop the asm/system.h
includes too.

-Andi