Re: [RFC] A more general timeout specification

From: George Anzinger
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 12:05:49 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
~>

If you do a new structure for this I would suggest adding a
"precision" field (or the same with a different name). Basically
precision would tell the kernel that the wakeup can be in a time
range, not necessarily on the exact time specified. This helps
optimizing the idle loop because you can batch timers better and is
important for power management and virtualized environments. The
kernel internally does not use support this yet, but there are plans
to change the internal timers in this direction and if you're defining
a new user interface I would add support for this.

I am not sure precision would be the right name, other suggestions
are welcome.

I think the accepted and standard way to do this is to use different "clock"s. For example, in the HRT patch the clocks CLOCK_REALTIME_HR and CLOCK_MONOTONIC_HR are defined as high resolution clocks.

~
--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx