Re: GDB, pthreads, and kernel threads

From: John Clark
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 12:29:20 EST

Douglas McNaught wrote:

John Clark <jclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Also, I do believe I'm using the NPTL package for threads. Is there a
way to absolutely tell without
question?

If you see multiple 'ps' entries for threads (without using any
special flags to ps) you are not using NPTL. NPTL is in 2.6 and in
some vendor 2.4 kernels, but not in kernel.org 2.4.X.

I used the hint from Ajay Patel and found that in my 'installed' glibc on my host 'linuxthreads' was being
used. However, I did compile glibc-2.3.5 for the host and results from that indicate that the nptl threads
version is begin used.

I will see if 1) the Gentoo distribution which was installed on the host machine I'm using has an updated
version of everything to the nptl threads, or 2) compile gdb against the glibc-2.3.5 which has the
ntpl threads.

Also, I'm using a 2.6.5 kernel in my host development environment, and using a 2.6.11.6 kernel
in my target. The target is actually using uClibc, and so I will check for the type of threads package
that is being supported there as well.

Thanks
John Clark