Re: module mismatch

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 02:12:20 EST

On Fri, 2005-05-20 11:27:14 +0800, zhonglei <zhonglei@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> when I use "insmod -f hello.o" in my Embeded linux,the warning appears:
> Warning: Kernel-module version mismatch
> hello.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.24-per2
> while this kernel is version 2.4.25
> Warning: loading hello.o will taint the kernel: forced load
> see http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
>
> Is there any problem on my using my module function with this warning?

Yes, there is. Your running kernel differs from that one which you
compiled the module sources with. Linux' internal interfaces and data
structures change every now and then, which will result in different
offsets, wrong functions called and the like. You'd *always* compile a
module exactly with the same sources, compiler and .config file to match
the kernel to which you want to load the module.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O