snd-intel8x0 buggy on Nvidia CK804, TYAN, AMD Opteron board?

From: Christian Parpart
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 02:40:08 EST

Hi all,

well, I'm just trying to listen to my music, however, it's either a no-go
(using ALSA-OSS emulation) or just a plain pain to listen to (via ALSA
directly).

In first case, I just hear nothing. A `dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/dsp` stops
at a certain byte and in my headset I hear a very high beep tone.

in second case, the music seems very deformed and the output is very buggy at
all (meaning, that it played just for a few minutes).
deformed means, that the foreground singer has been somewhat in the very
background and it overall has been very unfunny to listen to.

I was trying different players and versions anyway.

So, is this supposed to be a bug in the kernel sound driver for my certain
hardware?

nforce4 TYAN dual-opteron board (the whole system 64bit compiled, kernel:
2.6.11-r8)

battousai ~ # lspci | grep -i audio
0000:00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio
Controller (rev a2)

Regards,
Christian Parpart.

--
Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
09:33:41 up 57 days, 22:40, 0 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00