Re: software RAID

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 16:52:16 EST

Adam Miller wrote:
Hi,
We're looking to set up either software RAID 1 or RAID 10 using 2 SATA disks. If a disk in drive A has a bad sector, can it be setup so that the array will read the sector from drive B and then have it rewrite the bad sector on drive A? Please CC me in the response.

Adam,

There's no such functionality in linux software raid exists now.
Instead, as it is implemented now, the whole drive is kicked off
the array in case of *any* error in I/O path. There are patches
by Peter T. Breuer for 2.4 kernel for raid1, named "robust read",
which does just that, but the patches aren't accepted in mainline,
and in 2.6, the subsystem is too different. Maybe in some future...

And BTW, there's no reason to set up RAID10 array on top of 2 drives ;)

/mjt