Re: [OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

From: Brian O'Mahoney
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 18:21:58 EST

I agree that Joerg Schilling should be entirely ignored; cdrecord is
hopelessly broken writing DVDs and looking at the code, I am not
surprised, it is designed to make you buy the his PRO-DVD product but
fortunately Open Source healed itself, in the usual way.

Solaris is a hostage to the SUN QA group, which is FAR too powerful,
so they argue "keep it out" so vanilla Solaris just sucks, but, within
SUN there is an OS tool-chain group which builds useful tools
and publishes a DVD and runs a download service, This stuff needs
to be pushed into the mainstream. There is NO evidence that SUN
management, increasingly PHB, even understands the issue.

If I need a Python or Ruby platform do I use sun or Linux on X-arc?

This and the failure to see that they must open source Java just
indicate how clueless SUN senior leadership now is.

The real problem is insecure sys admins, throughout the industry, who
resist what developers are trying to do, cos it isnt on the (Solaris)
distribution CDs

Finally SUN should move from the pkg* abortion, written by idiots
at AT&T, some 25 years ago to RPM.

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen, Brian.