Re: [OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

From: Andre Tomt
Date: Sat May 21 2005 - 19:28:36 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 01:41:37PM +0200, André Tomt wrote:

Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

Did you ever see Solaris installations without GNU-tools from
sunfreeware.com installed?

Hnngh! Missing dependencies (do the package format support it at all?),

Solaris packages support dependencies.
That's what the "depend" file is for.

Great, now if sunfreeware would just use it ;-)

Disclaimer: I havn't checked the entire archive.

no splitting (why should I need apache2 for the portability library libapr?), odd things like needing sunfreeware gzip instead of the solaris one in some packages (something that you don't notice until its too late)... its like going way back in time to slackware.

Brian complained about the package format and not about specific packages.

I've also seen horrible rpm or dpkg packages, but that's irrelevant when talking about package formats.

I was talking about sunfreeware.com packages. Maybe it wasn't clear enough.

--
Cheers,
André Tomt