Re: When we detect that a 16550 was in fact part of a NatSemi SuperIO chip

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 15:47:10 EST

On Sun, 22 May 2005, Brian O'Mahoney wrote:

> Copyright law is complicated, since it differs in the UK, EU and non EU
> contries, such as Switzerland; so in the UK copyright automatically
> persists in anything I write, in the US it dosn't

You don't need a copyright notice even in the US any more, afaik. The US
signed the Berne convention late, but did sign it.

You own copyright on anything you write, as logn as it's copyrightable in
the first place, of course. Not everything is.

[ Although if you're going to sue somebody for wilful infringement, I
suspect that in practice you'd have better made your copyright known
some way. ]

And no, I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV. And I don't see why
people discuss technicalities.

Linus