Re: [OT] Tact

From: Eric Boutilier
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 07:37:32 EST

I hope it's OK to continue an off-topic thread like this...

On Sun, 22 May 2005, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> On Sunday 22 May 2005 11:40 am, Eric Boutilier wrote:
> > So for what it's worth, I just wanted to respond and say that I'd be
> > more than happy to engage people in a tactful discussion about
> > opensolaris -- either here, some other list, off-list, or whatever --
> > as would, I'm sure, any of the more official opensolaris ambassadors,
> > see: http://opensolaris.org/cab.
> >

> I didn't even know there were any other developers besides...

Actually the other developers of OpenSolaris, primarily, are all the
developers on the Solaris engineering teams. The reason being, under
the new Solaris/Opensolaris model, in order for a Sun developer to put
code into regular Solaris (the Solaris that Sun ships), he/she will
have to put it into Opensolaris first. In other words, Solaris is
becoming a distro, so to speak, of OpenSolaris. And Solaris engineering
is already well down the path to making this happen.

The problem is, I don't think we (Sun) have been doing a great job of
communicating to the world what Opensolaris is exactly, so a lot of
people seem to think the same thing you did -- that the OpenSolaris
development process is a separate thing.

Eric