Re: [patch 2/4] CPU hot-plug support for x86_64

From: Ashok Raj
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 12:00:55 EST

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 06:38:16PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 03:16:24PM -0700, Ashok Raj wrote:
> > Experimental CPU hotplug patch for x86_64
> > - Most of init code that needs to be there for hotplug marked now as __devinit
> > (Didn't use cpuinit, simply because the main framework code in kernel
> > is not the same way, just trying to be consistent)
>
> I dont like that. Can you keep it as __cpuinit please? e.g.
> if cpuhot plug turns out to be a lot of code we could later
> mark it free when we detect at boot the system does not support
> cpu hotplug. With devinit that is pretty much impossible these days.
>
> Also it is better for documentation purposes.

If its for documentation, then its ok, the reason i thought it will
be dead code/documentation soon is since 90% of the hotplug code is
generic kernel code, which is not under __cpuinit, just some pieces of
x86_64 would alone exist this way, and will not serve real purpose very soon.

If you still prefer to exist as __cpuinit, i dont have a problem leaving them
around for the time being.

--
Cheers,
Ashok Raj