Re: RT patch acceptance

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 06:15:43 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oh OK, I didn't realise it is aiming for hard RT. Cool! but
that wasn't so much the main point I was trying to make...

so it's well worth the effort, but there's no hurry and all the changes are incremental anyway. I can understand Daniel's desire for more action (he's got a product to worry about), but upstream isnt ready for this yet.

Basically the same questions I think will still be up for debate. Not that I want to start now, nor do I really have any feelings on the matter yet (other than I'm glad you're not in a hurry :)).

i expect it to be pretty much like voluntary-preempt: there was much flaming 9 months ago and by today 99% of the voluntary-preempt patches are already in the upstream kernel and the remaining 1% (which just adds the config option and touches one include file) i didnt submit yet.

Oh? I thought the idea of the voluntary-preempt thing was to stick
cond_rescheds into might_sleep. At least that was the part I think
I objected to... but I don't think I was one of the participants in
that flamewar :)

so i dont think there's much need to worry or even to decide anything upfront: the merge is already happening. The two biggest preconditions of PREEMPT_RT, the irq subsystem rewrite, and the spinlock-init API cleanups are already upstream. The rest is just details or out-of-line code. The discussions need to happen in small isolated steps, as the component technologies are merged and discussed. The components are all useful even without the final PREEMPT_RT step (which further proves the usefulness of PREEMPT_RT - but you dont have to agree with that global assertion).

No definitely - if things can get merged bit by bit in small, agreeable
chunks then that is the best way of course.

So i'm afraid nothing radical will happen anywhere. Maybe we can have one final flamewar-party in the end when the .config options are about to be added, just for nostalgia, ok? =B-)

Well from Daniel's message it seemed like things were not quite so far
along as you say.

Flamewar party? I'm afraid I don't have a thing to bring (... yet!)
I'm sure someone will invite themselves, for old time's sake :)