Re: RT patch acceptance

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 10:52:30 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:
K.R. Foley wrote:

There are definitely those who would prefer to have the functionality,
at least as an option, in the mainline kernel. The group that I contract
for get heartburn about having to patch every kernel running on every
development workstation and every production system. We need hard RT,
but currently when we have to have hard RT we go with a different
product.

Well, yes. There are lots of things Linux isn't suited for.
There are likewise a lot of patches that SGI would love to
get into the kernel so it runs better on their 500+ CPU
systems. My point was just that a new functionality/feature
doesn't by itself justify being included in the kernel.org
kernel.

Agreed. Maybe the Linux kernel can't be all things to all of us, even as configuration options. I am certainly not the one who is going to make that decision either. I just wanted voice my opinion from a user/developer perspective.

Another thing that some of us want/need is a hard real-time
Linux that doesn't create the segregation that most of these specialized
products create. Currently there are damn few choices for real posix
applications development with hard RT requirements running in a Unix
environment.

Maybe there are damn few because it is hard to get right within
the framework of a general posix environment. Or maybe its
because it has a comparatively small userbase (compared to say
mid/small servers and desktops). Which are neither completely
invalid reasons against its inclusion in Linux.

But I want to be clear that I haven't read or thought about the
code in question too much, and I don't have any opinions on it
yet. So please nobody involve me in a flamewar about it :)

Nick

And please don't misunderstand my statements as trying start a flamewar either. :-)

--
kr