Re: [ANNOUNCE] sdparm 0.92

From: Douglas Gilbert
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 20:43:25 EST

Mogens Valentin wrote:
Douglas Gilbert wrote:

sdparm is a command line utility designed to get and set
SCSI disk parameters (cf hdparm for ATA disks). More generally
it gets and sets mode page information on SCSI devices or devices
that use a SCSI command set (e.g. CD/DVD drives (any transport)
and SCSI tape drives). It also can list VPD pages including
the device identification page.

For more information and downloads (tarball, rpm and deb
packages) see:
http://www.torque.net/sg/sdparm.html

Nice! Just got it and tried on an external usb disk.
One feature I could use, probably others as well:
Could you add the ability to spin down/up a scsi disk?
I'd really like this for exteral (usb) disks.

Mogens,
With sg_start (in the sg3_utils package) I have tried
to spin up and down an ATA disk inside a USB enclosure
without success. The same command on a USB connected
CD/DVD combo drive did work.

Could you try sg_start on your USB external enclosure
which I assume contains an ATA disk rather than a
SCSI (SPI) disk and report if it works?

BTW I just checked libata (for SATA disks) and it does
not seem to support the START STOP UNIT command.
Jeff, could that one be added?

Doesn't seem it can; if I missed it, I'm sorry..

It is hard to know where to stop with sdparm ;-)
At the moment I am adding transport (protocol) specific
mode page support. So currently sdparm specializes
in mode pages (for all SCSI command sets) and INQUIRY
information (including the device identification VPD
page).

Doug Gilbert