Re: [RFC][patch 4/7] v9fs: VFS superblock operations (2.0-rc6)

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 23:57:43 EST

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 14:08 -0500, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
> Thanks for the comments! A bit of a clarification on slab policy - I
> did my own find_slab() so I could keep tight control over my own slabs
> (and monitor for slab leaks, etc.). There seems to be similar
> functionality for the malloc slabs (kmem_find_general_cachep), but I'm
> not sure if this is really something that is generally useful. What
> do folks think? Is this something that would be generally useful to
> add to slab.c? Or is there something like this that I just
> overlooked?

Most subsystems also implement this (a custom allocator for tracking
memory leaks) so, yes, I think it's generally useful. However, adding
yet another custom allocator is not the way to go. Perhaps some of the
fs developers could cue in here to talk about how they track memory
leaks? Pretty please?

In the meantime, please drop the custom allocator from your code.

Pekka