Re: File I/O from within a drive

From: van
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 12:49:11 EST

> Your assumption that the driver should parse the media file structure
> is probably wrong. You should rather do as much as possible in a user
> space library. Pass a file name to a library call and have that
> work with all the complex parts of the file format, then define an
> ioctl interface for the driver on a relatively low level.

I think this is probably the bit of insight I was looking for; when it looks what what you need to do is wrong, you probably don't need to do that.

In fact, right now I am implementing a simple write() interface as a starting point. Later on I will be wanting to used mmap()ed buffers anyway, and at that point the application (or some app-level library) will *absolutely* have to be able to parse frames out of the media file.

Thanks, all.

--Van Wanless
EQware Engineering, Inc.
van.wanless@xxxxxxxxxx