Re: 2.6.11 timeval_to_jiffies() wrong for ms resolution timers

From: George Anzinger
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 12:59:30 EST

Chris Friesen wrote:
George Anzinger wrote:

Bhavesh P. Davda wrote:

setitimer for 20ms was firing at 21ms

If we do NOT account for this PIT issue, the result is a time drift that is outside of what ntp can handle...

Still, it is non-intuitive that a multi-GHz machine can't wake you up more accurately than 1ms.

What about telling it to wake up a jiffy earlier, then checking whether the scheduling lag was enough to cause it to have waited the full specified time. If not, put it to sleep for another jiffy.

The user is, of course, free to do what ever they would like. For a more complete solution you might be interested in HRT (High Res Timers). See my signature below.

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx