Re: Creating patches for source

From: randy_dunlap
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 21:35:59 EST

On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:21:43 -0500 Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

| Hi,
|
| Quick and fast question here. I'm starting to create patches (diff)
| :-) so, I googled for a while and most say that one could use the diff
| -up or diff -Naur. They both look to me very similar and honestly -up
| works for me. Still, what command will make the cleanest patch and which
| one is mostly used?

You looked at 'man diff', right?

and linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches, which says:
Use "diff -up" or "diff -uprN" to create patches.

So you use the options that are appropriate for your patches.

If you are patching only one file (or a few files in the same
directory), -up is usually fine.
If you have patches in multiple directories and you want diff
to search in subdirectories for patches, you need to use -r
(recursive).
If you are adding new files, you need to use -N.

Is there a specific problem that you are trying to solve?

---
~Randy