nfsroot question - laptop

From: Jim Gifford
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 22:34:58 EST

I have been playing around with the nfsroot in the 2.6 kernels, and I have come across something that seems to be quite odd.

I have two different architectures and 3 machines
a RaQ2 - MIPS based, everything works great with nfsroot
a x86 - Pentium II based server, everything works great with nfsroot
a x86 - K6-2 Laptop

I have created a boot floppy with a kernel on it, with just the minimums to get the system up and running, this floppy is a grub based with a bzImage. As you will see below, I'm at the end of my diskspace.
/dev/fd0 1412 1271 69 95% /media/floppy

Now for my question. If I setup nfsroot on my laptop, it never connects to the nfs server for the nfsroot, it bombs because it has to add the pcmcia sockets before the ethernet card can be activated. On the other x86 machine, it doesn't have the issue, since the driver doesn't depend a sockets driver.

Is this going to be fixed in the feature?
How can I get around this issue on the laptop?
Aren't Cardbus cards technically PCI?

--
----
Jim Gifford