Re: Playing with SATA NCQ

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 02:00:26 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the need for the above code... If every qc
was tied to a SCSI command, we could just ask for a later requeue of the
request as is currently done with NCQ commands. Alternatively, we could
add an internal libata qc queue for postponing these commands. That
would take a little effort, as the sync errors reported by
ata_qc_issue() would then be need to signalled async through the
completion callback instead.

Jeff, what do you think?

Just use the SCSI layer for requeueing. That's what I intended.

Every qc that matters can be requeued. Just don't worry about non-queued, non-fast-path commands. They are typically used in functions that will immediately notice a failure, and handle it accordingly.

Jeff