disowning a process

From: Davy Durham
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 12:35:03 EST

Hi, I'm not sure if there's a posix way of doing this, but wanted to check if there is a way in linux.

I want to have a daemon that fork/execs a new process, but don't want (for various reasons) the responsibility for cleaning up those process with the wait() function family. I'm assuming that if the init process became the parent of one of these forked processes, then it would clean them up for me (is this assumption true?). Besides the daemon process exiting, is there a way to disown the process on purpose so that init inherits it?

Thanks,
Davy