Re: disowning a process

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 14:41:02 EST

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 14:54 -0400, J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> Sounds like a job for the Richard Stevens "Advanced Programming in the
> UNIX Environment" book. Check out chapter 13, "daemon processes". It
> explains the subtleties of process groups, signals, inheritance, etc..
> better than most.

Definitely a good read. God rest his soul. But it doesn't let you know
that there's already a daemon function out there. But what daemon does
is pretty much a complete version of Stevens' example Program 13.1
"daemon_init".

Davy, I recommend that if you don't already have that book, get it.

-- Steve