Re: RT and Cascade interrupts

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Sat May 28 2005 - 03:45:39 EST

john cooper wrote:

> Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> > john cooper wrote:
> >
> >> rpc_delete_timer(struct rpc_task *task)
> >> {
> >>- if (test_and_clear_bit(RPC_TASK_HAS_TIMER, &task->tk_runstate)) {
> >>+ if (task->tk_timer.base) {
> >> del_singleshot_timer_sync(&task->tk_timer);
> >> dprintk("RPC: %4d deleting timer\n", task->tk_pid);
> >> }
> >

> > I know nothing about rpc, but this looks completely wrong to me.
>
> > Next, timer_pending() == 0 does not mean that del_timer_sync() is
> > not needed, it may be running on the other CPU.
>
> Whether timer_pending() is SMP safe depends on the caller's
> context relative to the overall usage of the timer structure.
>
> For example we aren't holding base->lock in rpc_delete_timer()
> as would normally be expected. The reason this is safe is
> the transition to "timer off base" and "timer.base <- NULL"
> follows this sequence in __run_timers(). So the worst we
> can do is to be racing with another cpu trying to expire this
> timer and we will delete an already inactive timer which is
> innocuous here.

CPU_0 CPU_1

rpc_release_task(task)
__run_timers:
timer->base = NULL;
rpc_delete_timer()
if (timer->base)
// not taken
del_timer_sync();

mempool_free(task);
timer->function(task):
// task already freed/reused
__rpc_default_timer(task);

This is totally pointless to do:

if (timer_pending())
del_singleshot_timer_sync();

If you need to ensure that timer's handler is not running on any
cpu then timer_pending() can't help. If you don't need this, you
should use plain del_timer().

> > Looking at the code for the first time, I can guess that RPC_TASK_HAS_TIMER
> > was invented to indicate when it is safe not to wait for timer
> > completition. This bit is cleared after ->tk_timeout_fn call in
> > the timer's handler. After that rpc_run_timer will not touch *task.
>
> The problem being it is possible in the now preemptible
> context in which rpc_run_timer() executes for the call
> of callback(task) to be preempted allowing another task
> restart the timer (via a call to __rpc_add_timer()).
> So the previous implied assumption in a nonpreemptive
> rpc_run_timer() of the timer known to be inactive (as
> that's how we arrived here) is no longer reliable.

I don't understand why this race is rt specific. I think
that PREEMPT_SOFTIRQS just enlarges the window. I believe
the right fix is just to call del_singleshot_timer_sync()
unconditionally and kill RPC_TASK_HAS_TIMER bit.

I have added Olaf Kirch to the CC: list.

> The fix removes the attempt to replicate timer queue
> status from the RPC code by removing the usage of the
> pre-calculated RPC_TASK_HAS_TIMER.

No, RPC_TASK_HAS_TIMER doesn't replicate timer queue status.
I believe, it was intended as optimization, to avoid costly
del_timer_sync() call.

Oleg.