Re: [RFC/PATCH 2/4] fs/mm: execute in place (3rd version)

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sat May 28 2005 - 04:06:58 EST

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 10:51:17AM -0700, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> This is my crude version of the cleanup patch to reduce the
> duplication of code.
>
> Basically, I added __generic_file_aio_read_internal() and
> __generic_file_aio_write_nolock_internal() to take a read/write
> handlers instead of defaulting to do_generic_file_read() or
> generic_file_buffered_write().
>
> This way I was able to reduce 129 lines of your code.
> This patch is on top of your current set and I haven't even
> tried compiling it. Needs cleanup.
>

> BTW, function & variable names are too long and/or ugly & doesn't
> make sense - need fixing.
>
> Christoph/Suparna/Andrew, Comments ?

I don't like this patch a lot. It adds another indirection to the code,
and still leaves the O_DIRECT branches in the XIP path that don't make
any sense. If you're looking for a way to consolidate duplicated code
some abtraction for the iovec verification makes most sense, as there's
very little other code duplicated.