Re: IDE DMA with SATA, 2.6 kernels

From: Arthur Perry
Date: Sat May 28 2005 - 07:53:56 EST

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Tyler Eaves wrote:

My system is an Athlon64 3000+ running on a Via KT800 board. Distro is
Ubuntu 5.04, running the Ubuntu AMD64-k8 2.6.11 kernel. However, I've
seen this problem with several other distros and various kernels, so it
seems to be a kernel issue.

Disk Setup:

/dev/sda is a 200GB Maxtor SATA drive containing /boot,/, and swap
/dev/hda is a DVD-ROM/CD-RW driver (IDE)
/dev/hdc is a 160GB Maxtor IDE drive containing ThatOtherOS(TM)

The SATA drive works superbly, in UDMA133 mode. No complaints there.
However, it appears that the generic IDE driver grabs the IDE drives
before the Via driver can get them. This prevents me from using DMA on
those drivers, so, for instance, ripping CDs is really painful. I can
rip at about 2x on a good day, versus 40x+ ripping in Exact Audio Copy
under XP.

Art Perry writes:
See the man page for the utility hdparm.
The VIA driver should know how to apply the UDA modes to the chipset, as long as the drives do also support the modes.
If the kernel did not auto configure the chipset to this mode, simply tell it to with the hdparm utility.
Hope this helps.

You can find the relevant portion of my dmesg (and hdparm) at
http://cg2.org/dmesg.txt

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Arthur Perry
Linux Systems/Software Architect, 7+ yrs
Tech Mktng Task Force
non-disclosed corporate association

Disclaimer:
"The contents of this email do not necessarily reflect
the views of my non-disclosed corporate association" ;)