Re: RT patch acceptance

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sat May 28 2005 - 23:12:23 EST

On Sat, 28 May 2005 20:58:23 MDT, Zwane Mwaikambo said:
> On Sat, 28 May 2005, Lee Revell wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 19:55 -0600, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> > > Media apps are actually not that commonplace as far as hard realtime
> > > applications are concerned.
> >
> > Audio capture and playback always have a hard realtime constraint. That
> > is, unless you don't mind your VoIP call sounding as crappy as a cell
> > phone...
>
> It still doesn't mean that media apps are commonplace and who says cell
> phones don't use RTOS' for their lower level software stacks?

I'd be wildly surprised if media apps *were* commonplace on an operating
system that didn't supply the needed scheduling infrastructure.

That's as straw-man as commenting that applications that used more than 16
processors weren't commonplace on Linux before the scalability work that made
it feasible to build systems with more than 2 CPUs....