Re: [OFF TOPIC]? Maxtor disk problem

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sun May 29 2005 - 11:56:21 EST

Don't you have at least a PC in which you could test your card+disk ?
it may be possible that your card does not work in your alpha, I've already
had problems with some PCI cards in alpha (most probably because of the
drivers, or poorly designed PCI interfaces).

Just for reference, here is what hdparm sees on my maxtor 120GB on my
alpha (integrated ALI controller). Perhaps there's really a problem with
your disk, but it seems rather strange. Generally, IDE disks with bad
identification stop spinning and do not respond to any further command.

If it comes that it's your IDE controller which is wrong, perhaps you would
be interested in trying a SCSI->IDE adapter, which would allow you to turn
your IDE disk into an SCSI-like one and connect it to your motherboard ?

Regards,
Willy

/dev/hdc:

non-removable ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: Maxtor 6Y120L0
Serial Number: Y410P3CE
Firmware Revision: YAR41BW0
Standards:
Supported: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Likely used: 7
Configuration:
Logical max current
cylinders 16383 16383
heads 16 16
sectors/track 63 63
bytes/track: 0 (obsolete)
bytes/sector: 0 (obsolete)
current sector capacity: 16514064
LBA user addressable sectors = 240121728
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
Buffer size: 2048.0kB ECC bytes: 57 Queue depth: 1
Standby timer values: spec'd by standard, no device specific minimum
r/w multiple sector transfer: Max = 16 Current = 16
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 udma6
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
Enabled Supported:
* NOP cmd
* READ BUFFER cmd