Re: RT patch acceptance

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 09:22:23 EST

James Bruce wrote:
Nick Piggin wrote:

Sorry no, nobody answered me. What I did realize was that there
was a lot of noise nothing really got resolved.

[snip lots of stuff]

Sorry James, we were talking about hard realtime. Read the thread.
What's more, I don't think you understand how a nanokernel solution
would work, nor have much idea about the complexity of implementing
it in Linux (although that could have been a result of your thinking
that we weren't talking about hard-rt).

And my questions for which I got no answer were things like
"why is a single kernel superior to a nanokernel for hard-RT?",
"what deterministic services would a hard-RT Linux need to provide?"

So most of what you said is irrelevant, but I'll pick out a few bits.

[snip]

Yes, you "shoot holes" by bringing up examples such as fork/exec and other things RT apps would almost never do while expecting to meet

No, that wasn't part of any of my hole shooting. I asked what operations
need to be realtime and have not had an answer. fork/exec was "prompting".

deadlines. Then at the same time, when someone describes what an RT application typically does do, you claim how simple and trivial it all is, and without knowing any of the details tell them that it'd be easy to split it into separate processes.

Err, your example was "reading a configuration file". Not exactly
rocket science my good man.

Please explain how a split-kernel method supports a continuous progression from soft-realtime to hard-realtime, where each set of API calls has associated latency effects that may or may not be tolerable for a given application. That's the problem space, and I can guarantee applications exist all along that progression, and many don't fall cleanly into one side or the other.

You say this like you have a confabulous solution ready to plonk
into the Linux kernel.

But it is not up to me to point out why one way is better than the
other because I am not asking to have anything merged (not saying
*you* are either, I joined this thread by asking an open ended
question).

I hate to say but I find this almost dishonest considering
assertions like "obviously superior" are being thrown around,
along with such fine explanations as "start writing realtime apps
and you'll find out".

I said neither, why don't you take it up with the authors of those comments. Btw, Mach was extended to do RT in a project called RT-Mach. Since you like that approach so much, maybe you should ask yourself why it failed. You could also think about why the Jack people aren't using something like RTAI with its nanokernel approach. It's certainly not because the people working on those systems are ignorant.

I have a better idea. I won't read up on any of that, and I will go
and do my own thing and stop wasting my time on this thread. Then
whoever wants to start putting hard realtime functionality into Linux
can *tell* me why nanokernels failed, OK? Let's end the discussion
until then. It is going nowhere.