Re: 2.6.12-rc3-mm3: ALSA broken ?

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 10:23:59 EST

At Mon, 30 May 2005 14:30:46 +0000,
J.A. Magallon wrote:

> The correct question is: how do I generate a patch against a given kernel,
> from the alsa-driver-x.y.z.tar.gz I can download from alsa.org ?
> I thought it was enough to diff -ruN the alsa-kernel dir (minus the Documentation
> folder) vs the /usr/src/linux-xxxxx/sound folder.
>
> I have seen that there are some scripts in the tarball that install the new
> drivers on a given kernel tree via symlinks, but I would like to get just
> a patch. I think I will have to diff selected directories, or create
> an exclude list... Are there files that are just copied from mainline and do
> not change in ALSA tree, or anything can change under alsa-kernel ?

Basically diff should work for some of subdirectories in alsa-kernel.
Although we've tried to sync the files in sound/ directory with
mainline, better not to diff them.

As an example, I've checked the kernel sync between ALSA and mainline
trees with the script. Note that sound_core.c etc in sound/ are not
checked. ~/alsa-kernel-excludes contains the files to ignore like .*,
*.o, CVS, etc.

> Now that I think of it, if you work against Linus tree,
> would it be more correct to diff against 2.6.12-rc5, and then try to apply
> to -rc5-mm1 ?

Yes. The alsa-kernel tree is for Linus tree, in principle.

> Whe you do a release, which is your reference, latest stable (2.6.11),
> latest rc or latest git ?

The released alsa-drivers are for the latest Linus tree.
The patches to stable tree are taken occasionally, so they are not
collected...

> About git, I don't really like the idea of storing a full kernel tree just
> to do 'git update' or the like, and use the 'sound' part.

I understand it - Although git works great, I won't use it with the
analog modem connection at home :)

Takashi

#!/bin/sh
#
# diff-alsa-26 [-R] linux-kernel alsa-kernel
#

reverse=
if [ "$1" = "-R" ]; then
reverse=1
shift
fi
if [ -z "$1" -o -z "$2" ]; then
echo "usage: diff-alsa-26 linux-kernel alsa-kernel"
exit 1
fi

LINUX=$1
ALSA=$2

diffopts=--exclude-from=$HOME/alsa-kernel-excludes

if [ -n "$reverse" ]; then
for i in arm core drivers i2c isa parisc pci pcmcia ppc sparc synth usb; do
diff -rupN $diffopts $ALSA/$i $LINUX/sound/$i | grep -v '^[A-Z]' | sed -es@$ALSA/@linux/sound/@g
done
diff -ruN $diffopts $ALSA/include $LINUX/include/sound | grep -v '^[A-Z]' | sed -es@$ALSA/include/@linux/include/sound/@g
diff -ruN $diffopts $ALSA/Documentation $LINUX/Documentation/sound/alsa | grep -v '^[A-Z]' | sed -es@$ALSA/Documentation/@linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/@g
else
for i in arm core drivers i2c isa parisc pci pcmcia ppc sparc synth usb; do
diff -rupN $diffopts $LINUX/sound/$i $ALSA/$i | grep -v '^[A-Z]' | sed -es@$ALSA/@linux/sound/@g
done
diff -ruN $diffopts $LINUX/include/sound $ALSA/include | grep -v '^[A-Z]' | sed -es@$ALSA/include/@linux/include/sound/@g
diff -ruN $diffopts $LINUX/Documentation/sound/alsa $ALSA/Documentation | grep -v '^[A-Z]' | sed -es@$ALSA/Documentation/@linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/@g