Re: Adaptec AIC-79xx HostRaid

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 13:11:23 EST

Jeff Sipek wrote:
On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 01:21:05PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 06:13:03PM +0100, Clemente Aguiar wrote:

Hello,

We have acquired some IBM xServers which have an integrated raid controller
based on the Adaptec AIC-79xx U320 SCSI controller (called HostRaid).

Is there already support for HostRaid? Are there drivers for it?
From which kernel version and where do I find it in the config?

HostRaid is just software RAID; you can ignore it and let Linux use the
underlying SCSI devices via the standard aic79xx driver.

As far as I know, it is software raid done much closer to the hw than
the linux sw raid (md).

software RAID is software RAID.

It makes no difference whether you embed the RAID software in the Adaptec driver or make it a separate module.

Jeff