Re: HOTPLUG CPU Support for SMT

From: Srivatsa Vaddagiri
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 00:18:33 EST

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 04:50:27PM +0000, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> Yes, older 2.6-mm kernel (2.6.10-mm) trees have the "toy" i386 hotplug
> cpu implementation which does what you want.

AFAIK in the i386 "toy" implementation, when a CPU is offlined, it stops
taking interrupts and stops running tasks, but it _still_ executes a while
loop in the context of its idle task (with IRQs disabled). The loop
is exited when we have to bring online the CPU again. What this means is
I don't think by offlining the CPU, we are removing any activity associated
with the corresponding h/w thread.

Maybe the toy implementation could be modified to take care of it? Something
like lowering the priority of the h/w thread so that it consumes minimal
CPU resources to execute its while loop.

--

Thanks and Regards,
Srivatsa Vaddagiri,