Re: OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

From: Terry Vernon
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 07:31:19 EST

#!/bin/bash
## CampFire Song v0.1 ##
## by Terry Vernon ##
## This is dedicated to those who like to keeping pouring fuel ##
## on that stack of burning tires which is this thread... ##

#######decalre variable#######
drool='This stupid thread lives!'

####loop it forever and ever####
while [ "$drool" == 'This stupid thread lives!' ]; do
echo "This is the thread that never ends!"
echo "It goes on and on my friends!"
echo "One day people starting reading it not knowing what it was!"
echo "They kept on replying to it just because..."
echo ""
if [ "$drool" != 'This stupid thread lives!' ]; then
echo "Finally people have stfu about redundant crap!"
fi
#just for anticipation...
sleep 1
done
echo "It just faded off..."

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Kyle Moffett <mrmacman_g4@xxxxxxx> wrote:

BTW: an implementation that uses something like Solaris does with
/etc/path_to_inst and puts USB serial numbers into the path_to_inst
kernel instance database could come very close to the desired result
and would give stable SCSI addresses too.

But why fix what isn't broken? I can tell all my other programs, from
dd to mount, that I want to use the udev-created /dev/green_burner, so
why do you indicate such usage is _deprecated_ in cdrecord? For such
device nodes, a _filesystem_ is the preferred name=>number index, so
why add an extra strange file "just because Solaris does".

If you use /dev/ entries to directly address SCSI targets, then you are relying on on assumptions that cannot be granted everywhere.

Cdrecord is portable and this needs to implement a way that is portable and does not rely on nonportable assumptions like yours.

And why again do you need stable SCSI addresses for my _USB_ drive?

Well if the udev program was polite to users, it would also support
to edit /etc/default/cdrecord......

... if it _really_ does wat you like with /dev/ links, then it has all the information that is needed to also maintain /etc/default/cdrecord

Jörg