Re: RT : Large transfert with 2.6.12rc5 + realtime-preempt-2.6.12-rc5-V0.7.47-15

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 06:17:12 EST

Serge Noiraud wrote:
> Le mar 31/05/2005 à 18:18, K.R. Foley a écrit :
>
>>Serge Noiraud wrote:
>>
>>>I had the same problem with rc4+47-07, rc5+47-10,47-13
>>>I reproduce this problem with a tg3 driver and with e1000 driver.
>>>So I think it's not a driver problem.
>>>
>>>I try to copy an iso image from this machine to another one by scp.
>>>after 35 to 45MB, the copy become stalled with no more transfert.
>>>We can ping the target machine, all apparently is OK except the scp
>>>which finish with timeout.
>>>With ftp, the stalled state is about 100MB.
>>>If I reboot with a standard kernel ( without RT ), no problem.
>>>
>>>Perhaps there is a progress, in 47-15, the size is now 135-140MB
>>>
>>>On this machine, we have an ide disk.
>>>I have setup : hdparm
>>>-sh-2.05b# hdparm /dev/hda
>>>
>>>/dev/hda:
>>> multcount = 16 (on)
>>> IO_support = 3 (32-bit w/sync)
>>> unmaskirq = 1 (on)
>>> using_dma = 1 (on)
>>> keepsettings = 0 (off)
>>> readonly = 0 (off)
>>> readahead = 256 (on)
>>> geometry = 65535/16/63, sectors = 78165360, start = 0
>>>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I am not sure what might be causing this problem for you. I just tried
>>to reproduce this on one of my systems but could not (scsi not ide). The
>>first time it copied 450MB before the remote system ran out of space.
>>After cleaning up a bit I got the whole 630MB without a hitch. Do you
>>have the RT patch on both systems or just on the originating system? In
>>my case its the latter. There is
>

> The scp or ftp start on a RT machine.
> The destination is an RT or Non RT machine, the problem is the same.
> It's not a space problem, I have 4GB available on the destination path.
> I can reproduce the phenomena at each try.
> If I <CTRL C> the scp when it is stalled then relaunch the scp command, the transfert restart without problem.
> I'm trying to trace this problem but I don't know how to do this.
> Has someone one method ?

Do any of your logs provide any clues? Does this happen with just
2.6.12-rc5 and no rt-preempt patch? Does ifconfig provide any clues? How
about netstat -a? What is the state of the connection?

--
kr