Re: OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

From: Joerg Schilling
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 10:49:17 EST

lsorense@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:

> > Addressing IDE devices (try to get a real SCSI burner these days)
> > using scsi host+target+lun is sort-of silly IMHO ...
>
> Well I remember the first time I saw devfs running, I thought "Wow
> finally I have a way to find the disc that is scsi id 3 on controller 0
> even if I add a device at id 2 after setting up the system", something
> most unix systems have always had, but linux made hard (you had to
> somehow figure out which id mapped to which /dev/sd* entry, which from a
> users perspective wasn't trivial, and of course keeping your fstab in
> sync with the mapping was a pain).

What you explain is exactly the reason, why libscg maps the /dev/ names
to something stable.

Then some people claimed that there was a new way in Linux but I could
not find a machine running this stuff.....

When I checked again, this still had not become "standard" on Linux
but I got the impression that somebody was developing a new system.
So I gave up.

If someone will develop a useful system that eventually appears as
a standard on all Linux systems it may make sende to add support into
libscg.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin