Re: OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

From: Matthias Andree
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 11:23:39 EST

Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Think again what you like to tell me here.... You like to tell me
> cdrecord is one of thousands of bad programs but it is the first
> program that introduced stability at command line level if talking about
> generic SCSI usage.
>
> If somebody later develops something like udev (did not see it yet)
> I would asume that this person would look at earlyer stable software and
> provide some way of integration.

Heck. The whole issue is that cdrecord is unjustly complaining when it
is given a device node that is perfect. For my 2.6.11 system, /dev/hdd
(ATAPI hardware, ide-cd device) is as stable as it will get, yet
cdrecord complains and attempts to coerce some numbering scheme that
Linux isn't offering through /dev/*. Same story with FreeBSD, I need to
figure out some intransparent ATAPI transport identifier rather than
just using /dev/acd0.

So your first step to pull the rug from underneath most of this
discussion is just to disable this unnecessary warning for the ATA:
interface, whether it is

Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.

or

Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.

This is your personal vendetta against Linux device naming or numbering,
hence policy, and not a technical reason to complain. Particularly, if
cdrecord can use the device node, it MUST not print a warning, if you
think it's intentional or not.

Please remove these two warnings and you'll see a considerable part of
the discussion end.

ATAPI: is a different story, if the device doesn't support DMA (ide-scsi
bugs), that's a serious reason to avoid it, and the warning is justified.

--
Matthias Andree