Re: RT patch acceptance

From: Esben Nielsen
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 13:36:18 EST

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, NZG wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 June 2005 09:59, Esben Nielsen wrote:
> > Maybe you should get yourself a job as FUD'er? You surely have the
> > qualifications jumping to conclusions like that.
> > Ok, now you are FUD'ing on behalf on RTAI, but that doesn't make any less
> > disgracefull.
> >
> > Esben
> Your open hostility to a very possibly valid criticism isn't going to do much
> for fostering support in the community.

You can go out and say: "Look you might have a problem here, you better
check it out". That is valid. But what Andrea did was to say
"You have a problem. Everybody using your solution much supply the code
under GPL. But if you stick to our solution, you do not have a problem."

It is exactly the same kind of thing as SCO or other companies have tried
to do! FUD is FUD, no matter if it is open source projects against other
open source projects. FUD is when you try to discredit other projects
based on very loosely founded claims. One thing is to raise concerns,
another is to use those loosely founded concerns to scare people away
from a something apparently seen as a competing solution. Fortunately
it was shut down fast. Otherwise, we might end up with so called
"IT-journalists" spreading it again once PREEMPT_RT goes main-line.
(I am not saying that should be a reason to shut up though :-)

The discussion got a little heated on both sides. Thats that. I am sorry
for letting me drag along. I should be warned from my days of Mudding: You
soon get yourself heated when the only medium of communication is text.
It is so much harder to express yourself than just having a voice in the
other end.

> Somebody needs to do some RTAI FUD'n, they've been at this for a lot longer
> than this RT project and have already crossed many of these bridges, ignore
> them at your own peril.

I am not going into history and I will not ignore them. Andrea _did_
raise a concern - all I am blaiming him for is to jump to conclusions and
to say stuff which looks like FUD.

> NZG.

Esben